RECIPE: SPAGHETTI AI PORCINI
Porcini Mushrooms are a-flourish in all of Italia! It is mushroom season, when farmers harvest the wild breed from the forests of the nearby hills. The trunks are 1-2 inches in diameter, average about 5 inches in height, and entice you to take a bite out of their raw, glossy tops (maybe that's just me). All the best markets feature them prominently for about 2 Euro a pop, and all the best restaurants have a special menu dedicated to all things porcini. Our favorite of all the combinations are Pasta + Porcini, the best pair locally to known as Spaghetti + Porcini. Let us share our secrets of our vegan (butter and dairy free!) version, brought to you by your very own chef, Erik.
I recommend first watching this enlightening tutorial to wash and clean your porcini before you cook.
Vegan Spaghetti ai Porcini Recipe
YIELD: 2 Servings TIME: 20 Minutes Prep, 10 Cooking
- 2 Cups Spaghetti
- 2 Cups Fresh Porcini Mushrooms (any other local kind you can find in season will do too)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 T Olive Oil, then to taste upon completion
- Salt to taste
- Clean and chop the mushrooms (again, check this tutorial for details)
- Finely chop parsley and garlic
- Combine mushrooms, parsley and garlic with olive oil in a pan on medium heat (*note: mushrooms have an oil of their own, so it's important to go easy on the oil at first and add as necessary when they start cooking to avoid limp, soggy 'shrooms).
- Add spaghetti to a pot of boiling water. Let cook for 8 minutes (aldente all the way), or to your preference.
- Strain spaghetti, and add directly to the pan with the mushrooms. Mix together.
- Twirl and plop on a plate, with finishing touches of salt, oil and/or parsley to taste.
- Serve to friends and enjoy!
Let us know if you've tried it and share the goodness with us!